Sunday, February 14, 2010

Oh Delicious Crepe Cake!

Ok, I don't want to brag, really, I don't. BUT, we have perfected the Crepe Cake (or Gateau de Crepes)! My husband and I changed up the recipe to our taste, because as he says, "everyone likes chocolate better than vanilla". I don't always agree with that, but hey, maybe the majority prefer chocolate...



We call this Chocolate-Raspberry Crepe Cake, and here's how we did it. We followed Smitten Kitchen's recipe for Crepe Cake (http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/06/having-my-cake/), but we changed the filling altogether. Not that it isn't delicious as is, but like I said, hubby is a chocoholic.
We also have a double-burner griddle which was used to whip up some quick rectangular sheets of crepe instead of the normal round ones. We made chocolate pastry cream instead of vanilla, with alternating layers of thawed, frozen raspberries and ganache. There are recipes are
all over the place for these yummies, so I can count on you to find that one yourself, can't I? Just make sure you let the ganache cool enough before you attempt to layer it on the crepe. We alternated the layers of crepe, raspberry+ganache, and chocolate pastry cream until we were all stacked up. The most challenging part is figuring out how to ration the filling enough so that you have enough for all of the layers. Once finished, drizzle ganache on top, and stick it in the fridge for at least a few hours, but overnight would be better. You want everything to set. I thought it would look pretty to put a fresh raspberry on top for garnish, but didn't have them on hand.

No comments: