Sunday, September 21, 2008

Rasberry Cake Filling


This recipe is adopted from www.wilton.com (by the way, they have a ton of great recipes on their website), but again, I changed it slightly.

Ingredients:

1 pkg (16 ounces) frozen raspberries packed in sugar thawed : I used 2 12 oz packages of black raspberries not in sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Cornstarch
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice

Makes: Filling serves about 2 cups.

instructions
1. Drain raspberries, reserving liquid. Since I got the kind that didn't have sugar in it, I added a little sugar as it was thawing, which helps the raspberries drain. Mine sat out on the counter for several hours, and I got about 1/2 cup of liquid.

2. Add enough water to liquid to equal 1 1/4 cups.

3. In large saucepan, combine liquid, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice; mix well.

4. Heat and stir until mixture boils and thickens. (note: The thickness of mine was like a dense syrup)

5. Cool completely.

6. Stir thawed raspberries into cooled mixture. Mine still contained a lot of liquid, so I boiled the mixture again.

7. Fill cupcake or cake.

Note: This reminds me a lot of a jam, which may be another use for this recipe...what do you think?

1 comment:

Steph said...

Note to self: this recipe does not work in ice cream!